Welcome! My guest for today’s show is Tracy Cutchlow, the author of Zero to Five: 70 Essential Parenting Tips Based on Science (and What I’ve Learned So Far). The book fulfills Tracy’s passion to help new parents with information and support as they embark on the parenthood journey. Tracy also writes a blog and articles for the Washington Post and Huffington Post. Tracy and her husband, Luke, live in Seattle, where they enjoy life with their four-year- old daughter, Geneva. Unbelievably, Tracy wrote her book during the first 18 months of Geneva’s life! We’ll talk about the tools and wisdom in her book and the topic of helping our youngest children develop a growth mindset. Join us!
What you’ll hear in this episode:
- The unusual format in her book that makes it helpful for busy, new parents
- Development challenges of very young children
- “How many times do I have to tell you?”
- Why children follow their desires (even when they don’t follow OUR desires)
- Our expectations vs. normal development
- Why parenting education should be included in well-child visits to the pediatrician Behaviors: Why they meet the child’s innate needs of experience, power, and connection
- Why children seek connection, but will settle for attention
- Look at their behavior through the lens of their needs.
- Growth mindset: What is it?
- Acknowledgement vs. praise: What’s the difference?
- How empathy fits naturally into the growth mindset
- What it takes is small tweaks in our language
- Why our kids NEED to make mistakes
- The power of teaching kids about their brains
What does Joyful Courage mean to you? “It means taking action, but having a lightness and a playfulness—looking for the good instead of the bad.”
www.zerotofive.net (Find parenting tips and more!)
Zero to Five: 70 Essential Parenting Tips Based on Science (and What I’ve Learned So Far) by Tracy Cutchlow
Find Tracy on Facebook and Twitter: Zero to Five Book
I would LOVE to have you check out the latest offer I have for parents - it is FREE and SUPER supportive!! Just click here for more info and to register.
Make sure to SUBSCRIBE to the Joyful Courage Podcast on iTunes to get the latest shows STRAIGHT to your device!! AND PLEASE rate and review the Joyful Courage Parenting Podcast on iTunes to help me spread the show to an ever larger audience!!